Why choose to be happy?
“Sow an act, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny.”- Charles Reade
That’s right, choose. You can choose to be happy in life like this dog or you can be bitter and not be grateful for your life.
I recommend the first, for there are infinite reasons why. Part of becoming limitless is really about training your mind in the way you choose. Your subconscious mind is one of the most powerful computers in the world, and you are able to make the most of it if you know how! Here’s why you should lead a life full of happiness taken from my favorite book, The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
- Fewer strokes and heart attacks
- Less pain/ Inflammation
- Greater immune function and resistance to viruses
- Better work performance and more professional success
- Have more fulfilling and longer-lasting relationships
- Have larger and more active social life
- More involvement in communities
- More altruistic and have a greater positive impact on society
- More financially successful
- Live longer
Jeff Olson discusses how many findings in happiness research has contributed to making your life work better.
“Happiness is created by doing simple, easy things, and doing them everyday.” -Jeff Olson
How do I choose to be happy?
It’s easier than you think! Chances are if you’re reading this, you probably do want to be happy. Who wouldn’t? However, your actions and beliefs must align with what you want and how you want to be.
The Slight edge is a concept of being able to change lives through changing people’s philosophies, attitudes, and actions. Everyone has their own personal philosophy, it is the way you think about everything in life. If you look at things through a negative lens, you have to become aware of this and dig deep within yourself on why you may be doing this.
The right Philosophy —> The right attitude —-> The right actions
Attitude is key here, as a positive attitude will be a crucial part of having a happy life. You have to start adjusting your attitude and the actions you take if you truly want to find happiness. You have to make the conscious decision that you do want happiness, and start surrounding yourself with people and things that allow you to be happy.
You have to start looking from within, becoming the observer of your mind. What is your mind soaking up from it’s day to day life? What are you consciously saying and repeating over and over? Are you negatively bringing yourself down constantly with a fixed mindset or are you working towards a growth mindset?
See, personal development goes a lot farther than changing a few habits in your life. It’s a crucial part of it, indeed. People tend to fall back on old habits, however, with the right attitude and vision in mind you can achieve anything you desire and happiness will follow.
Only 10% of people are genuinely interested in learning about personal development, however when they are shown the happiness research then it is suddenly 50%
There’s a huge misconception in our society. You have to be successful to be happy, this is wrong. Truth is, happiness will lead to success.
What are some habits that will lead to happiness?
You are your most important investment. Never forget that. Your goals, dreams, visions are yours and no one can take that away from you. Your limits are only placed by yourself. You have to start choosing and sticking with habits that lead you to the desired goal you’d like.
- Exercise at least 15 minutes a day. This can be simple cardio to a brisk walk. This has a powerful antidepressant effect that is free of any side effects!
- Meditate Daily. Find a place you can relax and be safe from any distractions and let go of yourself. Train your brain to consciously breathe and to focus where you want it to, and don’t get distracted by the negativity. Simply become aware.
- Each morning, write down 3 things you’re grateful for. These can’t be the same, this will teach you to find the positive in life.
- Be kind to someone. Thank someone for something they’ve helped you with, or praise someone for the work they put in. Treat others how you want to be treated, you never know what someone else is going through. Your simple act could bring some light to their day while bringing some to yours.
It takes 21 days according to Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage of doing any one of these tasks. That’s just three weeks and you have literally rewritten the way your brain sees the world. This will result in more happiness in your life. Shawn has noted that you don’t have to do all five at once, it may be too much for most people. Start light, then slowly add another as time goes on.
What else can I do?
Other research indicates that self-development is a huge part of becoming happier in life. Happiness researchers have noted these other habits that lead to happiness:
- Making more time for friends
- Savoring the moment
- Practicing forgiveness
- Engage in meaningful activities
- Practice simple acts of giving
- Practice having a positive perspective
- Put more time in cultivating your relationships
- Reading 10 pages of a book that will help you grow daily
- Spend more time in nature
- Stop watching television/movies that aren’t serving you
- Don’t watch the news or listen to music that isn’t helping you
Why can’t I think positively?
Chances are, you’ve been trained unconsciously for most of your life in a way that hasn’t served you. Start changing the way you view things little by little and replacing habits that don’t serve you with habits that do serve you. Surround yourself with people who are positive and you will start getting that charge from them.
When I’m feeling pretty down about things, I have a secret technique that you get to know 🙂
I highly recommend incorporating affirmation videos in your life. These will help shift your mind to a more positive, grateful, prosperous, and abundant mindset. Often times we may feel that we are in a negative thought loop and nothing can get us out of it, these videos are really helpful in these cases. Next time you are stressed and cannot think positively, get into a relaxed place and listen to these as you meditate or sleep.
Sometimes in a world that can be full of judgemental and cynical individuals that bring toxicity to themselves and others, it’s difficult to find happiness within yourself. These videos have helped me and millions of others as they teach your mind to be stronger and slowly break down those negative patterns.
This entire channel is amazing at what it does, hook it up to a chrome cast and keep it on replay and you will see changes in your life. You will attract more positivity, more happiness and even love for yourself and others.
You must train your mind to the way you want, it is very malleable once you understand the power of the subconscious and what it can do for you. If you don’t then someone else will take hold of it and lead the results in life you do not want.
“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.” –Albert Schweitzer